Tuesday, 6 June 2017

Anyone there?

I can't believe that it's been over 2 months since I last posted on here, for which I offer no defence. All I can promise is that now that I have managed to put several things behind me (hopefully) I will have more time to dedicate to writing and maintaining my Blog, Facebook account and Twitter account.

The good news is that I have been chipping away at writing and now have 2 novels underway, both languishing around the 20000 word mark and another 3 in the embryonic stage, all of which I am keen to crack on with. It's the short stories that I'm struggling to knuckle down to. I've had a couple of acceptances, one of which I mentioned the last time I posted but I also had a rejection which knocked my confidence somewhat. It wasn't that I minded getting the rejection - Hell, we all get them, it's part and parcel of a writer's life - but it was the manner and the tone of the rejection which hurt. Whilst the story had its problems and some of the points made by the editor were valid, I believe that I copped a backlash for all the writers who were rejected that week, of which there were many according to the editor their self. Perhaps my story was the straw that broke the camel's back or perhaps they just expected more from me, I don't know, but I felt that the tone of the rejection was a little over the top and will now take a break from submitting there indefinitely.

In more positive news it was great to read in Writers' News magazine that a study had found that printed books were on their way back and had seen an increase in market share recently. Just 3 or 4 years ago many were predicting the extinction of print books and a total market domination by ebooks, but thank goodness it looks like that won't come to pass. In my opinion you can't beat the feel and smell of a paper book. I've owned a Kindle and read several books on it, but again in my humble opinion it's just not the same as holding a lovely paperback or hardback in your hands.

Now the time has come to write another one of my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment