Tuesday, 20 December 2016

Down time

After a really busy November and an even busier start to December, things around the Jones household have finally quietened down over the last couple of days enabling me to do some writing related admin. and to take stock of what sort of year it has been writing wise.

It was a bit depressing to delete so many competition details from my spreadsheet, competitions which I had stated an interest in entering but then never got round to, for whatever reason. Next year I think the way forward will be to target just a few special competitions rather than trying to enter  so many, quality perhaps rather than quantity. This decision is made easier by the fact that so many competitions now require an exorbitant (in my opinion) entrance fee. Before I get bombarded with emails from competition organisers telling me how much work goes into running a competition, I do know and do appreciate the effort these volunteers put in out of their own time, but surely it would be better to have a lower entrance fee and encourage more entries, than a higher one that puts so many people off? Just a thought. Nobody minds paying £3 or £4 to enter if the prizes on offer are commensurate, but so many competitions are £7 and upwards now that it's putting a lot of aspiring writers off entering, myself included.

So yes next year I will target only a few competitions where I think that I've got a realistic chance of success, rather than submitting a story which fits the criteria and word count.

What I do intend on doing, however, is cracking on with the novel (yes that one, the one I started amongst much fanfare last April and then consistently promised to get back to but never did). Who knows, maybe I'll even get the chance to add a couple of thousand words over the festive period, just to keep the keyboard ticking over.

Finally I've been pleased to receive some positive reviews lately, particularly of my earlier books which is most encouraging. If ever I needed motivation to get on and resume my writing career, it's right there.

Anyway, in case I don't write again before Christmas and let's face it, given my track record that's likely, I'd like to wish a very Merry Christmas to everyone I have come into contact with in the publishing world, whether that be my fantastic publishers at Netherworld books, people who have sent me their books to work on, other writers who I have had the pleasure of talking to or those of you who have been kind enough to buy my books and leave feedback.

Have a great one everybody....

No comments:

Post a Comment