Wednesday, 30 November 2016

Strange noises

So I haven't posted on here for a month... wow! I've actually been sat here at my desk most of the afternoon wondering what that strange whooshing sound was, other than the bitingly cold wind squeezing through my badly fitted windows to turn my office into a freezer that is. Then I glanced around and caught sight of my calendar which said that today was November 30th. Really? Where on Earth did this month go? One minute I'm thinking about taking part in NaNoWrMo whilst cursing the seemingly endless bombardment of fireworks at all times of night outside my window and the next the month is coming to a close. Time just seems to be going faster and faster, that or I'm getting older. That's a possibility as I'm pretty sure Policemen are getting younger... but I digress.

Well, there's nothing I can do about it, November's gone and with it so have 30 writing days. My new novel currently sits languishing around the 30 000 word mark but the next 20 000 words or so are already plotted out in my head, just waiting to be written. Perhaps next month.

As well as not working on my novel I haven't written any new short stories either though fresh ideas keep assailing me and my ideas book grows ever fatter with story ideas. When I do finally settle down and do some writing I've got an idea that I'm going to be frighteningly prolific. Well that's what I tell myself anyway - we all have our own motivational techniques.

Also found that last week that unfortunately my entry into this year's Aeon Award didn't make the short list. Disappointing, but not perhaps surprising. I don't know how many entries they have but it's a big well-respected competition attracting entries from some very accomplished writers, so I can't feel too disheartened although that was the last competition entry I had out there. I guess there's only one remedy to that.

Maybe I'm going to have to reduce the number of TV shows I watch because that sure is one mighty drain on my time, but the trouble is there's so many of them and they're all good. Simply loving Designated Survivor on Netflix with Kiefer Sutherland and although one or two other shows are dropping away, more are coming back, such as Vikings later this week I believe.

I guess that my main New Year resolution this year should be to manage my time better. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment