Monday, 31 October 2016

Pushing on

Really pleased with the progress I'm making on my latest fantasy novel. Because I hadn't written a single new word since last April, I needed to reacquaint myself with the whole story so instead of forging on with the next chapter I took the decision to completely edit my work as I re-read it. No sane writer would recommend this as a sensible course of action but I figured that if I had to re-read it all I might as well make it work for me.

It's actually working out a lot better than I hoped and each of the first 4 chapters has been edited at least 4 times now and chapter 5 is due its fourth edit tomorrow once this wretched migraine disappears.

I've been pleased with the overall quality of writing that I've had to work with, but I'm even more pleased with the revisions I've made. Some have been correcting oversights, others have been giving additional detail and some have been just because I thought of a new plot twist or decided to take the story in a different direction to that which I planned way back earlier this year.

Chapter five, however, has been more challenging. The writing wasn't quite as good as the earlier chapters to start with, but then I discovered a whole time line inconsistency. It wasn't major and many readers might not have been bothered about it or even noticed it, but i did and being the perfectionist I couldn't leave it. Unfortunately that also meant going back and making yet more alterations to the first 4 chapters which I had already signed off with. Couldn't be helped.

Still, the time line is correct now and the first 5 chapters at least flow like a dream so after one more edit of chapter 5 tomorrow, I will be able to push on.

I don't know if I'm going to have a working novel, fully edited by the end of the year but that's now the arbitrary target that I've set myself.

On a personal note, whilst these wretched migraines persist I've also been spending way too much time at the doctors with this pain in my right side. The latest diagnosis is something called Costchondritis, which is basically inflammation of the cartilage between the ribs and breastbone. It hurts whatever it is...

No comments:

Post a Comment