Thursday, 20 October 2016

Editing and refamiliarisation

Some 6 months after I last wrote a word in anger to do with my latest fantasy novel, today I was finally able to commence work on it again. It's been so long that in all honesty I'd forgotten a lot of the plot. More annoyingly I've also forgotten some of the clever twists and turns I had planned for later in the book. I'm hoping that as I work my way through the text some of them at least will come back to me, but I'm not holding my breath.

There's a lesson to be learned here regarding planning and jotting everything down somewhere safe before starting to write, but followers of this Blog will recall that the idea for this book came completely out of the blue and I had half the book mentally planned within 24 hours. It was a rush, not just in terms of getting everything done but also with regards to the feeling I enjoyed. Getting an idea for a book like that and so well formulated can't happen very often, certainly not in my experience and ...well, I guess I got caught up in the excitement and instead of plotting and planning I ploughed on in there and just started writing. It was going so well with some 30 000 words written within 2 weeks, but then as life got in the way, it all came grinding to a halt. Now I'm paying teh price.

So instead of starting to write again, I've decided to edit the first 30 000 words. This will help me to familiarise myself with the plot and characters again and will also mean that when done, I will have a very polished first third of the book. It's not the ideal way to write a book but it seems like I have little choice.

I'm too busy with other stuff to even contemplate doing NaNoWrMo this year, and I'm not therefore going to set myself any stupid targets, but I would like to think that come Christmas (yes it's coming and quickly) the first draft will be complete and the first third of it will be highly edited.

I guess we'll see...

No comments:

Post a Comment