Wednesday, 27 April 2016

Coming along nicely

So today is day 6 of my new novel writing challenge and my total word count to date is 17000, a 1000 down on my minimum target if I am to finish a 90000 word first draft by the end of May which is what I'm hoping.

The last couple of days writing have been the hardest yet because where the first 4 days were spent expanding a storyboard I'd already jotted down, these two have been spent "free writing" as I suddenly realised there was a massive hole in my early plot that needed fixing. Although I knew what had to be written I had no prompts or storyboard notes and pretty much made it up as I went along and I have to say for a first effort it wasn't too shabby.

I'm 8 chapters into the novel now and some of the characters are really starting to take shape though it is very difficult not to introduce the traits and characteristics of the characters in my other series of fantasy books. After all, I know Teren Rad and Yarik Holte so well after all these years their dialogue and story lines pretty much wrote themselves towards the end.

I reckon that I've got enough storyboard prompts to take me to perhaps the 40 000 word mark, ie the mid point of the book, so at some stage soon I will have to stop writing for a while and go back to plotting. Further updates will follow in due course.

Away from writing I've managed to watch a number of films lately around the awesome tv that is on - primarily I'm talking here about Game of Thrones, but there are other great shows on at the moment including the adaptation of Stephen King's 11.22.63 about the assassination of Kennedy, Gotham and the 100.

Films I have watched recently have included The Maze Runner and its sequel, The Scorch Trials, both of which were an enjoyable view but nothing special in my opinion, The Mockingjay Part 2, Chappie and Misery, the pick of which was Chappie.

I've also finally got around to doing some reading again and last night started Zero Six Bravo, a story based on true events during the Second Gulf War when 60 Special Forces guys were up against 100 000 enemy soldiers. An awesome read that makes you so proud that we've got some of teh best Special Forces guys in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment