Thursday, 21 April 2016

A novel challenge

Late Sunday afternoon I was sitting watching the football when completely out of the blue, an idea for a new fantasy novel began to take seed in my brain. By the time I went bed I more or less had the outline for an entire plot.

I fully expected to wake up Monday morning and have forgotten most of it especially as I foolishly didn't make any notes, but so demanding was the idea that it kept waking me up through Sunday night so that by the time I woke Monday morning, everything was still fresh in my mind.

I spent all of Monday and Tuesday expanding and developing the plot and by teatime Tuesday I had enough material jotted down for perhaps the first 7 or 8 chapters of the book. I also had a good idea as to how I want the book to end. I even had a few character outlines written though to be honest I prefer to let my characters develop and evolve as they see fit - it's more fun that way.

So yesterday morning I started the novel for real but only managed approximately 1500 words as other responsibilities kept cropping up through the day and distracting me. By the evening though I had made up my mind that I was going to consider writing this novel a writing challenge like NaNoWrMo and have set myself the target of having the first draft completed by the end of May. To do this and assuming the first draft will be about 90 000 words long, I need to achieve in the region of 3000 words a day.

I've got off to a good start today and as I write this I have completed about 3500 words I think, so today's target is achieved. I probably could have done more but I have just come back from walking the dog to find 7 police cars, an ambulance and a helicopter about 100 yards from where I live. Apparently there has been a hit and run accident there and the pedestrian involved is in a critical way. That kind of puts everything into perspective as I cross that road exactly where the incident happened, every afternoon at around that time as I walk the dog. Today I went a different route. Just fancied a change. It makes you think. Anyway, I hope whoever was involved is okay.

So the word count tonight at the end of day 2 of my writing challenge stands at 5300 and I will endeavour to keep those interested posted on my progress.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment